In September, Ebony Magazine is dedicating four covers to the ‘We Are All Trayvon’ movement. The main cover, above, features Trayvon Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, brother Jahvaris Fulton and his father Tracy Martin. The other covers, below, feature celebrity fathers Dwayne Wade, Boris Kodjoe and Spike Lee posed with their son(s) in grey hoodies.
Highlights in the feature include:
- An exclusive interview with Trayvon Martin’s family
- A profile of the Dream Defenders, who are fighting to get “Trayvon’s Law” passed
- Feelings from other 17 year old males about being black in America
- A poem for Trayvon Martin by Jill Scott
- An article on racial profiling by Marc Lamont Hill
- Commentary from the celebrity fathers featured on the cover
Amy Barnet is the Editor-in-Chief of Ebony Magazine and has this to say about the issue:
“As a mother of a young Black boy, the tragedy of Travyon Martin affected me deeply. We simply cannot allow the conversations on this issue to come to a standstill. As the leading source for an authoritative perspective on the African-American community, at EBONY we are committed to serving as a hub for Black America to explore solutions, and to giving readers the information and tools they need to help ensure a bright future for all of our children.”
Ebony Magazine hopes to start a serious dialogue about how we can find successful, working solutions to “Save Our Sons” in America. Will you be buying these covers? I know I will!
Dwayne Wade and his sons Zaire and Zion.
Boris Kodjoe and his son Nicholas.
Spike Lee and his son Jackson.